Financial/Basic Needs Assistance

Glossary of Terms:  Financial and Basic Needs Assistance



If you or a loved one need(s) food right nowcontact emergency food resources available on this resource finder tool, or call the Minnesota Food Helpline at 1.888.711.1151.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly called food stamps, is a county-run federal program that helps Minnesotans with low incomes get the food they need for sound nutrition and well-balanced meals.  Learn more about SNAP eligibility and how to apply.


If you or your loved one needs housing now, check our list of housing crisis resources.  You can also check the statewide list of Shelters and Emergency Housing.

Group Residential Housing (GRH) is a state-funded income supplement program that pays for room-and-board costs for low-income adults who have been placed in a licensed or registered setting with which a county human service agency has negotiated a monthly rate. 

Public Housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers Federal aid to local housing agencies (HAs) that manage the housing for low-income residents at rents they can afford. 

Transitional Housing means a project that works to move individuals and families experiencing homelessness to permanent housing within a reasonable amount of time (usually 24 months.)

 U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has a mission of creating strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. 

***Learn more about Housing Options in NAMI’s Hope for Recovery booklet starting on page 18.***


General Assistance Program (GA) serves as Minnesota’s primary safety net for single adults and childless married couples who are unable to work. The GA program provides monthly cash grants for people whose income and resources are less than program limits. GA participants are also eligible for help with medical costs through the Medical Assistance (MA) programs and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).  Learn more about GA eligibility and how to apply.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is a federal program designed to help people who are disabled and unable to work, but who have worked in the past, or whose parents have worked and paid in to the social security trust fund.  Learn more about SSDI eligibility and the application process.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes) designed to help people who are disabled, poor, and unable to work.  Learn more about SSI eligibility and the application process.

You Can Help:

carf Charities Review Guide Star United-Way-Community-Partner