Glossary of Terms
We understand the terms and definitions associated with mental illness can be overwhelming both for individuals with mental illness and their families. We have arranged this list by the following topical sections. Click on the topic to see related terms and definitions along with links to resources and information.
- Crisis Intervention
- Data Privacy/Family Involvement in Care
- Diagnoses and Illnesses
- Financial/Basic Needs Assistance
- Illness Management and Treatment
- Government Departments and Resources
- Medical Services
- Mental Health Parity/ Equality in Mental and Physical Health Coverage
- Miscellaneous Terms
- Service Types
- Staff Positions – Mental Health Professionals
For an overall and broad-based brochure, access and download a PDF of NAMI’s Hope for Recovery. Subjects covered in this resource include: Insurance, Financial Assistance, Housing Options, Intensive Treatment Options, Community Services and Support, Employment, Evidence-Based Practices, Crisis Intervention, Pre-petition Screening and Commitment, Data Privacy, Advocacy Information and Complaint.