With Spring comes garden fresh produce along with Simply Good Eating cooking and nutrition classes at Guild St Paul!
On Monday, April 30 the Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) services team hosted Joyce McGee Brown, an educator from the University of Minnesota Extension, for the first in a series of cooking and nutrition classes offered for clients. Melissa Mikkonen, Guild St Paul ACT Team Leader coordinated the series as part of continued work within the 10×10 Initiative.
During this first session clients:
- Reviewed nutrition guidelines under the new Choose My Plate model,
- Learned how to use everyday items as a reference for healthy portion sizes,
- Took home a tip sheet for following these guidelines and building a
healthy plate each day,
- Received a Minnesota Grown Directory with details on where to find locally grown produce, and
- Participated in a hands-on cooking class where they prepared a healthy
one-skillet meal selected to fit everyone’s cooking skill level and use
easily accessible kitchen equipment and ingredients.
Watch our Facebook page and email newsletter for updates on the classes and the whole health education clients will receive through this series.