December 2016 Guild Matters: Celebrate Our Community’s Impact!
From Where I Stand: Notes from Our President on the Ladder of Hope
“I wake up every day having joy, purpose, and a sense of hope.”
“Today, I feel recognized for the person that I am.”
Some of you heard these words recently right along with me.
The words belong to Gayle and Larry, individuals we serve, who courageously shared their stories at our recent Ladder of Hope events. After significant struggles with mental illness, today both are empowered and living the lives that they choose. Gayle celebrates 17 years of sobriety and a job that she loves. Larry hasn’t been hospitalized for his mental illness in over two years, has a volunteer job at a local food shelf that he’s had for three years, and shares his love of food by cooking for others at our Community Support Program. That’s the difference you make.
Today, let’s celebrate the results of our community joining together:
- 1,148 guests attended this year’s events
- 122 individuals volunteered as Table Captains
- Approximately 751 monetary gifts were given. We received gifts of ideas and volunteers, too.
- 11 new individuals became members of our multi-year Ladder of Hope Giving Society, bringing our total number to 163. And an additional 30 people pledged to give monthly gifts.
- Between the two events, we received $100,000 in matching funds, including gifts from The Hubbard Broadcasting Foundation, the Otto Bremer Trust, and one anonymous donor. Our thanks to them for inspiring others to give through their generous gifts.
- Bituminous Roadways, Inc. and Marsden Services were our Presenting Sponsors. And Anchor Bank was the Title Sponsor. Their support, combined with other contributions, allows the gifts we received to go directly to our mission. Learn more about our Presenting and Title Sponsors and why they support us.
- Our Supporting Sponsors were: 3M, BMO Harris Bank, Carl Bolander & Sons, CBL Floors, Fairview Foundation, Garrity, Tegeler, & Varley Wealth Strategies, Genoa, a QoL Healthcare Company, HealthPartners, Hometown Tire & Service, Maguire Agency, Medica Foundation, Mutual of America, Nasseff Mechanical Contractors, Otogawa-Anschel Design & Build, PHH Home Loans, Qualitech, Universal Cleaning Services, Valley Staffing, and Wilkerson Guthman.
And 34 volunteers, including pianist Dr. Bob Jones, gave gifts of time and talent to help assure the events ran smoothly and that guests could enjoy the sweet sounds of music.
The funds we generate at Ladder of Hope events sustain our current Services and Programs — and help us reach forward to achieve initiatives – all toward the end of health, hope, and dignity for those we serve.
My sincere gratitude goes out to Gayle and Larry as well to Dianna and Grant for sharing their stories with us. And my thanks to you for all you do to spread hope and light to the individuals that we serve.
December 15, 2016